Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Libra/Scorpio - Plant seasonal color and herbs
- With days, it’s best to plant color in the evening after the heat of day has passed. Salvia, Zinnias, Vinca bloom well in hot locations.
Other Things To-do
- To keep Poinsettia plants compact trim back the leggy branches at least 50% and you shape the rest of the plant. In addition, feed them monthly through September with Fish Emulsion, Miracle Gro or any liquid fertilizer to encourage the new growth and the side shoots.
- If your blackberries or raspberries never matured or were only half ripe, you have Berry Mite. By the time, you see Berry Mite damage, it's too late to do anything about it. This insect is controlled during the winter months with a dormant season spray.
- And finally, to increase the number of flowers on Fuchsias, remove all the seedpods or better yet pinch off the spent flower before the pod's form.