Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: New Moon on Tuesday, July, The 4th Of July is Thursday
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Taurus/Gemini
- This is the weekend to dress up your yard for the 4th of July. White and red seasonal color is plentiful. Here are some blue annuals: Lobelia, Salvia, Petunia, Ageratum, and Verbena.
Later in the Week
- Premature fruit drop with Citrus plants in containers is primarily caused by irregular watering. At this time of the year, they should be watered daily when the temperatures are over 75 degrees.
Other Things To-do
- The best time to harvest vegetables is in the morning hours when they are at their peak of favor.
- Coddling Moth traps in Apples and Pears, need to be monitored throughout the summer. The adult Coddling Moth lays the egg that hatches into the worms found in the fruits at harvest.
- Sticky Bars are an organic control for White Flies and other insects. Periodically, you'll scrape off the excess bugs to keep the Sticky Bar effective and reapply the gummy resin coating called Pest Barrier or Tanglefoot.