Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter begins on Wednesday, July 24
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Pisces - Plant, and transplant for root growth
- For color through the fall add summer-blooming annuals with your summer perennials. Marigolds, Zinnias, are two choices to plant with Gloriosa Daisy or Echinacea.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Libra/Scorpio - Harvest, cultivate, weed, fertilize and control pests
- To avoid fertilizer burn during the summer, water your plants the day before or at least four hours before and immediately afterward.
- Except for corn, harvest edibles in the morning hours as this is when they”re the most flavorful.
Other Things To-do
- Add a wetting agent like EZ Wet to containerized plants that have been in the same container for a year or longer. The wetting agent breaks the surface tension that surrounds the soil particle and allows water to flow through the root ball. At this time of year it is common for water to roll around and out the sides of the container.
- .Perennials should be cut back when they finished blooming. This would include Mexican Evening Primrose, Penstemon, Lavenders and others. To add color to these areas plant Vinca Rosea, Portucula, Salvia and others.