Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Veteran’s Day November 11 Sunday, 2nd Quarter begins on Thursday, November 15
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Sagittarius -
- It’s time to take down, clean and store Yellow Jacket Traps for next year. I’d empty the contents, throw away the cotton swab, rinse the trap out and let them air dry. Yellow Jacket hives are in decline. The workers and males die off naturally as the mating season has concluded. The queen(s) have abandoned their nest and will hibernate for the winter.
Later in the Week
- The new selection of the fall and winter blooming Sasanqua Camellias have arrived at your favorite garden center. Besides blooming early, they have one other desirable characteristic. They will tolerate afternoon sun as long as you mulch the roots from the hot afternoon sun.
Other Things To-do
- And finally, replace any broken splash blocks or those that have disappeared and clean out the gutters, before the rainy season begins